Thursday, March 24, 2011

It's all greek to me!

Terrible title, right?  So cliche.

Last night we made fantastic greek food.  I actually participated this time too - which is a feat for me considering that most of the time I just stand in the kitchen and get in the way and ask how much longer it's going to be until it's ready.  Yes, I'm eternally 6 years old.


Ok, so first there's the spanikopita - which is super simple.  I only glanced at a recipe just to make sure I remembered everything.  Essentially, you thaw Phyllo dough and layer it in sheets in a pan brushing on a thin layer of melted butter between each layer.  About 8 sheets worth.  Then you top it with a sh*tload of cooked down or frozen spinach (you will seriously need way more than you think you will is you cook it down yourself - like two bags from the salad section at the grocery store) that has sauteed onions and garlic added.  A little salt and little pepper and I used a little dried parsley.  Want a specific measurement for the parsley?  Smell it.  You'll know how much to use based on how much you like the way it smells.  Trust.  You could also add mushrooms and we might throw some toasted pine nuts in there next time also to add some texture.  Top with crumbled feta.  Then back to the layers of dough and butter until you have 8 more sheets.  Cut some slits in the top and bake for 30-45 mins at 350 degrees (until browned on top and the edges are rolling up.)  My mother always says that when you can "smell" something, it's done.  This is one of those things.

Jesse roasted some tomatoes and red onions with some marinated shrimp and we paired it all with tabbouleh we bought at Costco that is actually good and obviously way easier then making it from scratch, housemade tzatziki and a leftover piece of naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment