Today is Jesse's birthday. We spent the weekend celebrating in a variety of ways. I drove to Lexington on Friday afternoon after work and picked up a cake and some cupcakes from
Treat Me Sweetly. Since he LOVES
Angry Birds (yes, I realize when people read this like, a year from now they'll have no idea what I'm talking about) I had her make an Angry Birds themed cake. The cake was red velvet with a buttercream icing and since I'm not a fan of powdered sugar, she made the icing without and it turned out spectacularly. Super light and not too sweet.
 |
| her pic, not mine |
|
Then, just for good measure and since I was driving all the way from Louisville to Lexington, I also asked her to make some strawberry cupcakes with ganache. They are super wow. And super beautiful.
 |
| gorgeous. also not my pic. |
|
On Saturday, since Jesse's friend Kris also had a birthday this week, he and his wife had party at their house for the two of them. From what I could tell, everyone had a good time. Good food, some drinks and fun people. Happy Birthday, Kris! And thanks you guys for having the party!
Sunday was funny. Now, as many of you know, we are kind of food snobs. Not in the way that we'll only eat at fancy restaurants, but in the way that we like to make visits to restaurants worth it. So why was Sunday so funny? Jesse wanted to go to Red Lobster for his birthday dinner. It's been many moons since I've stepped foot into a Red Lobster and while it wasn't great, the food was fair. However, the people really made the experience. I don't know what it is, but people really think this place is something spectacular. Which is terrible since for what they're spending they could have actually good seafood. Oh well, safety in familiarity I suppose. We both had the Ultimate Feast which was alright - could have done without that scampi - but those cheddar bay biscuits made up for it. I had forgotten how good those were.
My birthday is in a couple of weeks, maybe we can go to Applebee's. Or not.
Liz
ReplyDeleteI read all your posts (in my google reader!) and laugh every time!! I love the Angry Birds cake! How fabulous. And those cupcakes look awesome... if you have any left...
Looks like you and Jesse are having a GREAT time being newlyweds.
Awe, thanks Lauren! I check your blog frequently too. I love hearing about all your running and fitness stuff. Hope you and Gavin are well. Maybe we'll see you guys out and about this summer! :)
ReplyDelete