Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Updates all around

I'm pleased to say that Jesse's eye healed up quite well and he only sometimes has to use his eye drops - so that's good.  We had a wonderful house guest (a friend of a friend and now our friend) stay with us on Friday of last week before he ran in the Derby Marathon Saturday morning.  He's attempting to run in all 50 states!  I know, he's a crazy person.  Jesse cooked a lovely, healthy, carb-filled meal to get him ready for the race and we enjoyed learning about his life in Washington D.C. and his time in Morroco with the Peace Corp.  Oh, I guess I should also mention that Osama bin Laden was killed late Sunday night, which I have mixed emotions about but I suppose it's good for the morale of the country and given our current state, we could use it.

Jesse got the vegetables into the garden - well most of them at least - which has been difficult since it's rained literally everyday except for two days the past two weeks.  This year we're doing white and green beans, several varieties of peppers and tomatoes as well as thyme, basil, oregano, chives, rosemary, strawberries, raspberries, purple potatoes, and a smattering of radishes.  This is my first time doing potatoes or radishes so I am excited to see what happens.  Jesse has also started a new project in the basement.  He's doing aeroponic gardening.

As you can see it's very DIY but it will be good for us in the winter when we'll be able to have fresh herbs year round.  With Jesse in culinary school, our food budget gets a little crazy sometimes so this will be nice to cut into the fresh vegetable part of our spending a little in the winter.  And no, we don't plan on using it to grow pot.  Thanks for asking though.

Jesse and his buddy Kris are supposed to pick up the stuff to finish out the living room today.  I can't wait to not see heat vents and support beams in the living room and to get back to working out in a larger space than the tiny back bedroom I'm in now.  I'm a tall girl - I need some serious leg space.  I keep making promises I don't keep so let's try this one more time...I hope to have some more pictures up after this weekend of the house in progress.  At least a little something to show that we're not still living in a war zone.

Oh right, and Derby is this weekend.  We'd love to go but it's just too expensive and as much fun as it would be, we'd much rather spend that money to sit on a beautiful beach and have a great meal on vacation so we had to pass.  One day though, one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment