Now, obviously since we're starting our food truck,
Grind in the Spring and doing
Kickstarter to get it ready we're not really in a position to keep updating the house as rapidly or as costly as we were this time last year. When we realized we were going to have to wait to remodel the kitchen I was inspired by
this post from the blog
Young House Love about painting your cabinets as a low cost way to update a kitchen without spending a lot of money. Now I know this is not revolutionary information, but I was convinced that our nasty 1954 cabinets were far too disgusting to even bother trying to do this but when I realized it would be at least another year before we could replace them I figured they really couldn't get any worse with a couple coats of paint. I mean, look at this...
 |
| The picture from the realtor listing |
Now look at this!
I mean, so much better, right? And the best part? We used paint we already had. I know, more craziness. This entire project cost me $25. I already had the primer and 1 bucket of the paint from the living room. One more bucket of paint and it covered all of it. That's one coat of primer and two coats of paint on both the inside and outside of the cabinets as well as the bottoms and tops of the shelves. I even used a color we already had to accent the insides of the cabinets from where we removed the doors.
We used Glidden Gripper to prime, Glidden Silver Birch as the main color and Glidden Olivewood for the accent. We completed it over the course of 2 weeks with the majority of it being done over 1 weekend. It took forever to get all the cabinet doors and shelves done because you have to wait for both sides to be completely dry before flipping but I think all the effort was totally worth it. Since we don't want to invest on replacing the back splash right now we have this master to plan to coat it in industrial floor paint to give a thick shiny texture. In our heads it sounds great but as of right now we have no idea how to do it. See below for more pictures of the before, during and after.
 |
| Removing doors and clearing out the cabinets |
 |
| So much stuff...geez |
 |
| Busy, busy |
 |
| First coat of primer |
 |
| More primer |
 |
| and more primer |
 |
| So much brighter! |
 |
| Love the stainless against the white |
 |
| Redone cabinets meant we could clean off and organize our kitchen rack |
 |
| The sellers had already replaced the hardware so that saved us even more money |
 |
| Pig lights! |
 |
| Oils and tools at arms length for Jesse while he's cooking |
The hardware even looks better! Of all the cabinet styles to have to work with that is a great one. They never really go out of style. They just need a new dress every once in a while to keep up. Good job! I know it is a ****load of work.
ReplyDeleteI like how you left the doors off some of your cabinets. I totally want to do that!
ReplyDeleteNice kitchen update..You have a beautiful house
ReplyDelete